You updated an app on your Android phone, hoping its performance will improve. But, when you updated, you realized that the old version was much better. The regret is unbearable especially when you use the app regularly.
Don’t feel bad just yet! We have amazing news for you. You can totally go back to the older versions of Android apps without breaking a sweat. And, we are here to tell you how.
How to Undo an App Update on Android?
Fair warning, you may need to spend some time downloading files, etc. This may be daunting if you are not really tech savvy but worry not. We are here to guide you step by step.
If the App is Pre-Installed
- Go to settings on your phone.
- Navigate to Apps.
- Here, you will see all the apps that you installed and updated. They are usually arranged in alphabetical order.
- Choose the app you want to downgrade.
- On the top right, you will see a burger menu. (3 dots one below the other.)
- Press that and choose Uninstall Updates.
- A pop-up will prompt you to confirm.
- Press OK, and you are done.
Remember, this method works only on certain phones for apps that were already installed. For other apps that you downloaded manually and would like to downgrade, we have another method.
If the App Was Not Pre-Installed
- By conducting basic research, you will be able to find the APK version of the app you want to downgrade. Choose the exact version you want to revert to. Download it.
- Find the folder that has the adb tools and open it.
- Open your Command prompt and copy the APK file into the same folder that has the adb tools.
- Go to Developer Options now and enable USB debugging.
- Connect your phone to your system (computer or laptop).
- Now, these are the commands you should type into your Command prompt:
adb push app.apk /sdcard/app.apk
adb shell pm install -r -d /sdcard/app.apk
- You will be asked to allow debugging. Allow it.
- Now, the app will start downgrading.
- That’s about it!
Like we told you in the beginning, you may need to spend some time understanding what to do, especially if this is your first time. Don’t panic. Just go through the aforementioned steps one after the other, and you will be smiling wide, enjoying your apps very soon.
All the best. Do let us know if you face any troubles!